[CM] Common Music Tutorial?

Carl Edwards carl.boingie@rcn.com
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:57:57 -0400

> Maurizio wrote:
> is there some Common Music 2.x Tutorial somewhere?
> It's not so easy to learn the language thru the reference manual (imho).
>
> tia

Maurizio,

Hi, from someone in the same boat. =)

There does not appear to be. There is a tutorial out there for an earlier
version of CM's (dis-continued) "Stella" interface. There have been enough
changes to the program that it may not be immediately practical as a
step-by-step tutorial but you'll learn a great deal about what's going on
"under the hood" in CM (I think). I found the section "Describing Music
Algorithmically" extremely helpful. A Google search for "Stella Tutorial",
"Music Lisp", and "Heinrich Taube" should find it without any problem.

There is also an article (available on the net) by Peter Desain called "Lisp
as a
Second Language" which is illuminating about the practice of doing music in
CLOS. Recommended highly. If you have any trouble finding it I'll be
happy to send you a copy. Judging from the fact that Mr. Desain has
published articles with Roger Dannenberg his orientation may be more to
Nyquist but that is only a guess on my part.

The Nyquist documentation is well worth taking a look at. It's more
synthesis-oriented but,... "What the heck"?  ;-)

If you haven't downloaded a copy of David Touretzky's "Common Lisp: A Gentle
Introduction To Symbolic Computation" it is available in PDF format. It
doesn't go into CLOS but it gets you started in Lisp fairly painlessly.

And, of course if you want to converse about "baby steps"  give me a shout.
My spare time this summer is devoted to Lisp and CM.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Carl Edwards