[CM] realtime piping

Orm Finnendahl finnendahl@folkwang-hochschule.de
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:06:56 +0200

Hi,

I would like to use the named pipe mechnism of linux to process events
generated by some Common Music process (for example piping realtime
events to a csound process). How can I get that done? I basically want
to exploit common musics scheduling features for my custom made format
routines directed to a named pipe. For example if I want to generate
csound events in realtime, I would have to send an i-statement with
starttime (p2) = 0 to the named pipe. I thought, I'd use "wait
<rhythm> for the process loop but define time=0 (instead of <now>)
inside the loop, but that doesn't seem to work.

Also csound complains about the "s" and "; Common Music output of..."
statements common music is putting out (which I then bypassed by
redefining "initialize-io"). And, above all, the process complains if
I set "rt t" in the io command about not knowing this
option. Furthermore it seems that common music still tries to call an
additional csound process (which I don't need as csound already runs
and waits for input through the pipe). Could someone give me a working
example of some process, which simply outputs the i statements at the
appropriate times to a given filename without any additional headers,
footers etc.?

--
Orm Finnendahl