[CM] moving forward

Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:12:35 -0700

> You should try running lisp as a subprocess of emacs (or xemacs), that way
> you can have an emacs frame with lisp running and other frames with lisp
> code being edited. You can even get code evaluation piped into lisp. I
> think a .emacs file comes with CM's distribution, you just need to edit it
> with the apropiate lisp-image path and move it to your home directory
> to get such an environment going.

I'm including part of the one I have here, I use that with my
xemacs setup file and works fine. Just merge it with whatever
you have on your .emacs, restart xemacs and go for it :-)

-- Fernando

;;; DotEmacs Version 1.0
;;; Copyright 2001 Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.stanford.edu>
;;;   Tested under RedHat Linux 7.0 (rpm: xemacs-21.1.14-2.7):
;;;   xemacs 21.1 patch 14, ilisp 5.10.1
;;;
;;; this .emacs file should work correctly with the PlanetCCRMA
;;; cm/clm/cmn rpms and should autodetect which binary rpm has
;;; been installed, setting the correct path for executing it.
;;; Getting all this work has been a REAL pain, most of the time
;;; trying to interpret emacs lisp code in the ilisp module...
;;;
;;; Todo: more key bindings should be local for the buffer, this
;;;       is a problem when using several lisps concurrently...

;;; For standard gnu emacs and Xemacs

;;; figure out which flavor we are running

(defvar xemacs-flavor (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" emacs-version))

;;; For Xemacs only

(cond (xemacs-flavor

       ;; if you always want partial minibuffer completion
       (require 'completer)

       ;; configuration of Erik Naggum's HyperSpec access package.
       (setq common-lisp-hyperspec-root "file:/usr/lib/lisp/reference/HyperSpec/")

       ;; don't send output to a separate frame
       (setq ilisp-*use-frame-for-output* nil)
       ;; arglist will end up on minibuffer
       (setq ilisp-*use-frame-for-arglist-output-p* nil)
       ;; no message on startup
       (setq ilisp-motd nil)
       ;; activate fsf keybindings
       (setq ilisp-*use-fsf-compliant-keybindings* t)

       ;; initialization and load hooks
       (add-hook 'ilisp-load-hook
                 '(lambda ()
                    ;; Change default key prefix to C-c
                    (setq ilisp-*prefix* "\C-c")
                    ;; do not do arglist expansion by default
                    ;; necessary to avoid errors on .lisp buffers
                    ;; (define-key ilisp-mode-map " " 'self-insert-command)
                    ;; output to minibuffer for arglist expansion
                    (setq lisp-no-popper t)
                    ;; by default disable arglist expansion on #\\Space
                    (setq ilisp-*arglist-message-lisp-space-p* nil)))
       (add-hook 'ilisp-mode-hook
                 '(lambda ()))

       ;; HACK: we set window-system to nil temporarily while we load ilisp
       ;; so that it does not create extra frames for its output. There is
       ;; currently no way to turn this off with configuration variables
       ;; for ilisp 5.10.1 (AFAIK). The code for the output functions is in:
       ;;     /usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ilisp/ilis-out.el
       (let ((window-system nil))
         ;; now we load ilisp, we need it active to define our dialects
         (require 'ilisp))

       ;; define a dialect for Snd's guile interpreter

       (defdialect snd "Snd" guile
         (setq comint-prompt-regexp "^>+")
         (setq ilisp-complete-command nil)
         ;; try to autodetect the binary
         (unless snd-program
           (cond
            ((file-executable-p "/usr/bin/snd")
             (setq snd-program "/usr/bin/snd"))
            (t (setq snd-program "snd")))))

       (add-hook 'snd-hook
                 (lambda ()

                   ))
       ;; if you have the binary somewhere else:
       ;; (setq snd-program "snd")

       ;; define a dialect for CM/CLM/CMN (under allegro common lisp)

       (defdialect acl "AclLisp" allegro
         ;; try to autodetect the binary (at ccrma)
         (unless acl-program
           (cond
            ;;((file-executable-p "/usr/ccrma/lbin/cm2-clm2")
            ;; (setq acl-program "/usr/ccrma/lbin/cm2-clm2"))
            ((file-executable-p "/usr/ccrma/lbin/acl5.0")
             (setq acl-program "/usr/ccrma/lbin/acl5.0"))
            (t (setq acl-program "cm2-clm2")))))

       (add-hook 'acl-hook
                 (lambda ()
                   ;; the following is necessary so that we can have separate
                   ;; keymaps for snd and other lisps, if we run them concurrently
                   ;; we need to have some local (to the buffer) key bindings.
                   (make-local-variable 'overriding-local-map)
                   (setq overriding-local-map (copy-keymap ilisp-mode-map))
                   (define-key overriding-local-map " "
                     'ilisp-arglist-message-lisp-space)
                   ;; enable arglist expansion on this buffer
                   (make-local-variable 'ilisp-*arglist-message-lisp-space-p*)
                   (setq ilisp-*arglist-message-lisp-space-p* t)))

       ;; if you have the binary somewhere else
       ;; (setq acl-program "/usr/ccrma/lbin/cm2-clm2")

       ;; define a dialect for CmuCL;
       ;; we need to patch the cmuclisp.lisp init file including CMU18 in the
       ;; #+ #- switches if we want the symbol description to work correctly,
       ;; see /usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ilisp/cmulisp.lisp

       (defdialect cmucl "CmuLisp" cmulisp
         ;; set the correct file name
         (setq ilisp-cmulisp-init-file "cmulisp.lisp")
         ;; try to autodetect the binary
         (unless cmucl-program
           (cond
            ((file-executable-p "/usr/bin/cmucl-cm-clm-cmn")
             (setq cmucl-program "/usr/bin/cmucl-cm-clm-cmn"))
            ((file-executable-p "/usr/bin/cmucl-cm-clm")
             (setq cmucl-program "/usr/bin/cmucl-cm-clm"))
            ((file-executable-p "/usr/bin/cmucl-clm")
             (setq cmucl-program "/usr/bin/cmucl-clm"))
            (t (setq cmucl-program "lisp")))))

       (add-hook 'cmucl-hook
                 (lambda ()
                   (make-local-variable 'overriding-local-map)
                   (setq overriding-local-map (copy-keymap ilisp-mode-map))
                   (define-key overriding-local-map " "
                     'ilisp-arglist-message-lisp-space)
                   ;; enable arglist expansion on this buffer
                   (make-local-variable 'ilisp-*arglist-message-lisp-space-p*)
                   (setq ilisp-*arglist-message-lisp-space-p* t)))

       ;; if you have the binary somewhere else:
       ;; (setq cmucl-program "lisp")

       ;; define a dialect for Clisp

       (defdialect clisp "CLisp" clisp-hs
         ;; try to autodetect the binary
         (unless clisp-program
           (cond
            ((file-executable-p "/usr/bin/clisp-cm-clm-cmn")
             (setq clisp-program "/usr/bin/clisp-cm-clm-cmn"))
            ((file-executable-p "/usr/bin/clisp-cm-clm")
             (setq clisp-program "/usr/bin/clisp-cm-clm"))
            ((file-executable-p "/usr/bin/clisp-clm")
             (setq clisp-program "/usr/bin/clisp-clm"))
            (t (setq clisp-program "clisp")))))

       (add-hook 'clisp-hook
                 (lambda ()
                   (make-local-variable 'overriding-local-map)
                   (setq overriding-local-map (copy-keymap ilisp-mode-map))
                   (define-key overriding-local-map " "
                     'ilisp-arglist-message-lisp-space)
                   ;; enable arglist expansion on this buffer
                   (make-local-variable 'ilisp-*arglist-message-lisp-space-p*)
                   (setq ilisp-*arglist-message-lisp-space-p* t)))

       ;; if you have the binary somewhere else:
       ;; (setq clisp-program "clisp")

       ;; Bind acl startup
       (global-set-key "\C-x\C-l" 'acl)
       (global-set-key "\C-x\L"   'acl)