[CM] mobile sound?

Dave Phillips dlphilp@bright.net
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 08:30:44 -0500

Bill Schottstaedt wrote:

> I was goofing around with ptree-channel and noticed a new way of
> using Snd: if the accessor has, for example, randomness, each
> time you look at the sound it is different, so
>
> (ptree-channel (lambda (y) (+ y (random .01))))
>
> gives a slightly different take on the sound on each change
> of view or redisplay.  But if the details of the noise don't
> matter, this change is also ok -- you're editing a sort
> of mobile in sound (analogous to mobile sculpture -- was
> it Calder who made these?).  I could extend this to handle
> any function, so you could embed Common Music processes
> or whatever in the sample accessors, so each time you
> look at it, you get a new version of the compositional
> algorithm -- Snd could be used as the algorithm editor.
> If copy/paste maintained the parse-trees, you'd be
> pushing bits of compositional processes around, rather
> than something mundane like samples.

Very cool idea. On a tenuously related topic I was just playing around
with some VST plugins that have randomization functions built-in: for
instance, the dfx Transverb has a randomize button that came up with
some pretty bizarre stuff, so I started thinking about how Snd could
incorporate such routines. It should be fairly straightforward even now
from the Listener, yes ? But I was also thinking about wiring in a
randomize switch for some of the effects. Any thoughts on this notion ?

(And yes, it was Calder. Didn't Earle Brown take Calder as an
inspiration too ?)

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org