[CM] fun with CM + Linux

Larry Troxler lt@westnet.com
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 20:39:44 -0500

Dave Phillips wrote:

> Larry Troxler wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Rick Taube wrote:
> >
> > > I think your Timidity hook is what I should use as the default on linux.
> >
> > Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't make sense. Timidity as far as
> > I understand, is a "soft-synth" that happens to be able to take MIDI
> > input.
> >
> > Shouldn't the default be instead to write to a MIDI device, instead of
> > being hardwired to a specific program?
>
> I agree with Larry, it would be best if the MIDI output were realtime. I
> suggest TiMidity for reasons of sound quality in lieu of support for
> /dev/midi and its offspring.

Ok, it could be that again I'm misunderstanding something, but I was
assuming we were talking about output to a midi file. In fact I don't
know (and Dave and I were wondering) if real-time MIDI output was
supported yet on Linux.

But even if real-time MIDI output works, isn't that really up to the
piping mechanisms in ALSA devices, to redirect MIDI output to a program
instead of an actual MIDI port, if that's what you want?

What I'm saying is (and maybe I should have shut up before I started
since I'm not actually using MIDI in CM) that shouldn't the output hook
for MIDI, assuming it gets passed a MIDI file, simply play the MIDI file
to a specified MIDI port, rather than calling a specific soft-synth?

Larry Troxler