[CM] fun with CM + Linux

Dave Phillips dlphilp@bright.net
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 12:59:45 -0500

Rick Taube wrote:

> I think your Timidity hook is what I should use as the default on linux.

Maybe not. Playmidi is straightforward and included on every mainstream
Linux distribution, but I'm not sure about TiMidity's distro status.
Also, TiMidity requires either a set of PAT or SF2 patches and a
configuration file. And if you want a GUI you have to build it for your
resources. Fortunately the GUI can be based on Gtk, Motif, Tk, curses,
and other kits, and you can assume their existence in all the mainstream
distros.

Of course you could just provide the whole thing on the CD, though I'm
not sure about what soundfonts are freely redistributable.

> but before i take your example, look at  sco.lisp for a hook that tobias wrote called play-sco-file. his hook  allows options
> etc to get passed to the hook. if you want you do a simlar function for midi/timidiity you can adapt his csound example and
> ill use it.

I'll take a look...

> yes for now just put your definition:
>
> (define (linux-play-midi-file ...) ...)
>
> in your cmiinit.lisp  file.

Btw, here's what I have in cminit.lisp now:

	(set-midi-output-hook! #'oss-play-midi-file)
	(set-cmn-output-hook! #'load)

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

	The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org