No subject

Tobias Kunze Tobias Kunze
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 21:18:10 -0800

> Is it possible to call up a text editor from within Stella, CM, or CLISP DOS?

The Common Lisp function "ed" does what you want.  It's exact behavior,
however, is implementation-dependent.  In MCL, it's equivalent to Cmd-O
and opens up the file in a new window, in CLISP (under UNIX) it depends on
what your editor does.  An example:

> *editor*
"vi"
> (ed "/usr/local/lisp/cm/kernel/midi.lisp")

   [...up comes vi, IN THE SHELL, and stays there til I quit...]

0
> (setf *editor* "jot")
"jot"
> (ed "/usr/local/lisp/cm/kernel/midi.lisp")

   [...the (SGI) app "jot" puts up a window with the file content, CLISP
    returns immediately...]

0

Hope that helps.

Tobias Kunze                       t@kunze.stanford.edu