CM rebuild bug?

Tobias Kunze t@ulysses.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:46:44 -0800

  |  maybe the logical host ccl: is no longer pointing to the
  |  true MCL 3.0p2 folder. try booting the base mcl image, then
  |  doing (ccl:require :loop)  if that breaks then the problem
  |  is definately that mcl cant find its library.  if it works
  |  then cm should find it  as well.

The way MCL works is a bit different.  the logical host "ccl:" is set
to wherever the spinning up image happens to be. So, if you start MCL
by itself, "ccl:" will be set right.

The only way to cure the problem is to set up a file
"pathname-translations.lisp" and load this from your site-wide cminit.lisp
(which has to be in the same directory as the cm image).  Make sure
you set at least the ccl: and home: logical hosts.  I had some neat code
that automated the process which I can send you if you like.

  |  Well, the save actually only saved the listener output text
  |  and not the image.

That's a hall-of-famer :)

  |  If I let the build script save the image, I don't get any
  |  debug information.

You mean the sources?  Not true, if you (setf ccl::*save-definitions* T).
The definitions will be in the new image.  Happy swapping, though!