[mus422] HW 1 questions

Craig Sapp craigsapp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 15:50:29 PST 2010

Hello Music 422 Class,

Here are a few questions Isaac sent, which I will send out the reply
to everyone since they are of general interest for HW 1:

> - For #2a, what sampling rate should we use?

#2a doesn't require a sampling rate (the signal is a continuous
function), but I intuit that you are using matlab to plot the
function.  In that case any sampling rate above the Nyquist frequency
of the 3 kHz sinwave component would be suitable.  The plot will be
too complicated to see all of the details in any case, so you might
want to show the entire range, and also zoom in on a smaller section
to see both the large-scale and small-scale portions of the function.
I myself tried a test plot with a 30 Hz sinewave as well to get a feel
for the 3 kHz sinewave.

> - For #2, I've been using the Python libraries (numpy, scipy, etc.).  For parts (b) and (d) it asks for signal summary properties; are there any library functions that we can use to easily compute these?

You should use the equations in Chapter 3 of the textbook.  At least
quote the equation that describes each signal property, and you can
use any program (or pen & paper) to calculate the answer. I myself
used Mathematica to solve the integrals of the product of two sine
functions...  If you give just
the answer, I may or may not take off points.  If you give the
mathematical definition of the feature, and just the answer, I am not
likely to take off any points if you got the right results.  If you
give the wrong answer, but explain clearly how you derived that
answer, I am less likely to take off as many points...

> - Can I email you my answers in a PDF form or should I also turn in a paper copy?

Hopefully my last email to the 422 at ccrma.stanford.edu email list got
through to everyone, so you know that answer now.  I might also add
that the Python code should be submitted in text form (but also may be
submitted in PDF if you like).  The Python code can be submitted as an
email attachment, or as plain text copied into the body of the email.

-=+Craig