[Stk] OnePole, HZ cut off frequency

Julius Smith jos at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sun Jun 18 17:50:43 PDT 2017

Yes, if the real pole is at p, then convert it to its "analog
location", e.g., via f = -ln(p)/(2*pi*T), where T is the sampling
interval in seconds.  Matlab example:

> p=0.99; T=1/44100; f = -log(p)/(2*pi*T)

f =  70.541

This should be close to the -3dB point of the pole, relative to its dc gain.

- Julius

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 4:34 AM, Sophie Kirkham
<sophiekirkham.audio at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm quite new to STK but not to audio engineering, I was wondering if there
> was a simple way to convert the pole value passed to the STK one pole filter
> class to a cut off frequency in HZ?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Sophie Kirkham

Julius O. Smith III <jos at ccrma.stanford.edu>
Professor of Music and, by courtesy, Electrical Engineering
CCRMA, Stanford University
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/