[Stk] audio formats & interfaces

Gary Worsham gary.worsham at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 17:51:49 PDT 2016

I understand I'm still messing around at the RtAudio stage, but I promise
to ask some stk questions just as soon as I get this other stuff out of the
way.

I accomplished 2 different things.

#1 I figured out how to determine the index of the USB interface and use
this instead of "default" when picking the audio interface to use.

#2 I figured out how to get the USB interface down to the default
position.  At least, let's say I changed some things and it's there but I
couldn't actually explain it.  So now this interface is used by default
with the stk example programs.  Yay!

Next issue is that for example, I am running "effects" via StkEffects.  The
sound is very crunchy - not overdriven, but spits and fizzles with any
signal at all.  I noticed in the effects.cpp:

effects.cpp:  RtAudioFormat format = ( sizeof(StkFloat) == 8 ) ?
RTAUDIO_FLOAT64 : RTAUDIO_FLOAT32;

So we are choosing float 64 or float 32 format based on a runtime
decision... however this particular interface only supports 32 bit int.
Seems like this code assumes support for 32 or 64 bit float.

Should I just hard-wire RTAUDIO_SINT32 in here to get started, or do I have
to change the code itself to accommodate this?

Thanks,

Gary W.