[Stk] Does very low/high frequency damage your ear?

Craig Sapp craigsapp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 20:02:51 PDT 2015

Hi Spencer,

Basically no: if you cannot hear it, then it cannot damage your (inner)
ear—as long as the sound is less that about 120 dB_spl.   Extremely loud
sounds can still damage whether you can hear them or not, such as burst
your ear drum, and if the sound is intense enough in the low frequencies it
could probably turn you into mush.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound#Human_reactions
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasound#Safety

2,000,000 GHz is pretty high—most audio speakers will only go up to 20,000
Hz (20 kHz).  If you try to produce 2,000,000 GHz or similar with STK you
will be wrapping around the Nyquist frequency (22 kHz maximum for CD
sampling rate) in any case.

140-150 dB ultrasonics were in the news recently:
    http://www.livescience.com/52598-sonic-tractor-beam-moves-objects.html

-=+Craig