[Stk] stk build system ported to automake/libtool

Stephen Sinclair sinclair at music.mcgill.ca
Tue Oct 1 09:18:08 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Felipe Sateler <fsateler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Doing autogen.sh + make & make distclean leaves cruft in the source directory:
>
> % git status
> # On branch automake
> # Untracked files:
> #   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
> #
> # Makefile.in
> # aclocal.m4
> # config.h.in
> # config/
> # include/Makefile.in
> # m4/
> # projects/demo/Makefile.in
> # projects/effects/Makefile.in
> # projects/eguitar/Makefile.in
> # projects/examples/Makefile.in
> # projects/ragamatic/Makefile.in
> # src/Makefile.in
>

> Isn't that supposed to be cleaned by distlcean?

Not according to the automake manual:

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Clean.html

> Otherwise, if make built it, then clean should delete it.
> If configure built it, then distclean should delete it.
> However maintainer-clean should not delete anything that needs to exist in order to run ‘./configure && make’

In other words, if Makefile.in are removed by "make distclean", then
the tarball user can no longer run "configure".

Anyways I've fixed a couple of the clean targets and added the
remaining files to .gitignore.  To clean up the remaining files the
correct command is "git clean -xfd"  (but be careful of any files
you've not git add'ed yet.)

Steve