[Stk] Editing raw files on OS X

Perry Cook prc at cs.princeton.edu
Thu May 16 12:03:03 PDT 2013

Yep,

Many/most of those files date back to the 1980's, when resources were precious.

The NeXT machine had nice native sample rates of 22050 and 44100 on the
Motorola DSP chip, along with 8k for speech.  22050 gains us two things, less
storage, and sometimes less computations.  For example, for the waveguide
mesh or a vocal tract tube, computations are order dimension^2, and the
dimension is linear in sampling rate so a doubling of SRATE can cost us a
4x factor on scattering computations.  Thus, 22050 was a good tradeoff that
still sounded pretty good, yet saved on storage and cycles.

It is possible that I have original 44k versions of some files, like the Mandolin
body impulse used for that commuted synthesis model.  Perhaps we'll swap
those out in a future STK release, or do away with raw files and make them
.wav, allowing you to swap your own out at will.

PRC