[Stk] bug in JCRev? (oHop too big)

Morgan Packard morgan at morganpackard.com
Thu Mar 3 13:56:18 PST 2011

Thanks Gary,
I definitely hear you w/regard to "rather spend my time on other issues"!
Unfortunately, the "modern CPU's are so fast" statement isn't true for those
of us developing software for mobile devices.
If I wind up trying to improve the performance of one of those reverbs I'll
share my code with any who want to take a look.
-Morgan

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Gary Scavone <gary at ccrma.stanford.edu>wrote:

> Yes, in fact this is a bug in many or all of the Effects classes.  I fixed
> it a while back in my own version with the hope that a new release would be
> forthcoming shortly.  Needless to say, things have been delayed more than I
> expect.  But hopefully, the new release will happen this Spring.
>
> Regarding block-based processing, I considered it but eventually didn't
> bother because:
>
> - the possible performance improvement is not necessarily great (based on a
> few basic tests)
>
> - there is the possibility of introducing yet more bugs
>
> - modern CPUs are so fast now that I'd rather spend my time on other issues
>
> Best,
>
> --gary
>
> On 2011-03-01, at 7:10 PM, Morgan Packard wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > FYI, I think I've found a bug in the multi-frame version of JCRev ::
> tick. The method was hopping three samples on every input frame instead of
> two samples.
> > Perhaps I'm using it incorrectly, but it looks to me like no one has ever
> tested this method. Anyway, after a simple adjustment to oHop, it works fine
> for me. My fix is here:
> >
> > http://tinypaste.com/7b6860
> >
> > Also on the subject of JCRev, I noticed that it's calculating frames
> sample-by-sample rather than in blocks of StkFrames, which is not the most
> optimized way to do things. Is there a reverb in STK which has been written
> with more of an eye toward performance? I hesitate to offer to optimize this
> class since I'm basically a noob with regard to both DSP and C++, but I'd be
> happy to contribute if I can.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > -Morgan
> >
> > --
> > ================================
> > Web:
> > http://www.morganpackard.com
> >
> > Music/Art:
> > Latest album: Moment Again Elsewhere
> > iOS app Thicket available on iTunes store.

Web:
http://www.morganpackard.com

Music/Art:
Latest album: Moment Again