[Stk] Stk and Python

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb@cesmail.net
Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:23:29 -0800

Michael Gogins wrote:

>I'm the author of Silence. As you may have guessed it is currently moribund.

That's sad ... Silence was/is a wonderful tool.

>Aside from the joy of being able to write instruments and compositions in an easy language, Python or Lua would bring in with them enormous libraries to vastly expand the capabilities for making music, especially in mathematics and computer graphics.

Pretty much all the scripting languages interface easily with C++ these
days, so you can pick your language for the high-level work. I've never
bothered to learn Python, Lua or PHP as a result -- Perl is good enough
for general processing, and R is good for heavy number crunching. But I
*am* learning Ruby, which is connected in some way with GridFlow, which
is in turn connected in some way with PureData.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com