[Stk] buffering advice

Conor forward@forwind.net
Tue, 17 May 2005 00:14:11 -0700

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could quickly point me in the appropriate
direction.
i was looking to implement a real time responsive instrument with STK
but am a little confused which threading model to use.

This is the way i thought it should work...
The app ideally will listen on the audio in and fill a buffer, when a
certain 'window' has been filled the buffer it should notify(send an
event) to another thread to accept this window of data, process it and
send it the output. The main idea is that this window should be
flexible. The thread that listens for input should work entirely
independent of the processing/output thread and should use rtwavin.
While the second thread which writes to the output buffer should use
rtwavout. the reason for the two threads is so as the processing (which
should be quite intensive) can be carried out independent of the input.

Initially I thought okay this can be done in the standard multithreaded
scenario using CRT library using the model i discussed above.
now i'm not so sure,
does anyone have any hints?

Conor