[SpHEAR-devel] latest musings (PCB, new Octathingy, calibrationand more)

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Tue Jun 26 19:23:38 PDT 2018

Hi Umashankar (and all).

I did not forget the Matlab scripts I converted to Octave... I just
postponed my ambisonics related projects, partly because of the
difficulties to properly measure and calibrate a microphone. I must
admit that I never try to calibrate a microphone, and I yet have to
understand the Matlab scripts (converting a script does not imply
mastering it)... But it's never too late! I just found the precious
scripts in a folder named "brahmatlab"... ;-) Publishing the scripts
(properly edited and tested) as free software would be great (if Angelo
would allow it). Also, there's probably other methods to calibrate a
microphone, but I'm not holding my breath; as Fons recently wrote on
sursound: "So unless you want to spend a few months full time to develop
and test all of this, I'd strongly advise to not even try it."

Because building an ambisonics microphone is a lot of work (even the
ones from the SpHEAR project), I got a cheap Twirling720 Lite; it looks
more a toy than a proper microphone, but I like its form factor, its
built-in USB interface, and maybe its a good enough device to hack in
order to learn the subtle art of measurement and calibration. I just
hope there's no processing between the capsules and the USB interface
(something to discover).

Fernando, I was asking about the article I found because I like the idea
of using a reference microphone to calibrate another one (with a
transfer function). So i wondered if a set of individually calibrated
capsules (using the same reference microphone) could be used without
further measurements to make a calibration profile based on a
theoretical ambisonics microphone, knowing the distance between the
capsules and the center of the array; I guess it would fail because the
capsules holder (and other capsules) are not acoustically transparent.
The devil is in the details (n'est-ce pas?). Please excuse my naïve
questions (this is the best way for me to learn).

Marc