[PlanetCCRMANews] update for alsa-tools (hdspmixer) on fc14

Fri Feb 25 12:12:52 PST 2011

Hi all, Craig Bourne reported a problem (off-list) with the new version
of alsa-tools released by Fedora for Fedora 14 (1.0.24). Hdspmixer was
not recognizing old RME cards (like the Hammerfall + Digiface or
Multiface). And without hdspmixer there is no sound... It is a bug in
the upstream version of alsa-tools and a patch was posted on the
alsa-devel list.

I just released a new temporary version of alsa-tools on Planet CCRMA
until Fedora has a chance to fix it (1.0.24.1-1.1.fc14.ccrma).

NOTE: I had to power cycle the Multiface box for this upgrade to work.
Maybe the old firmware does not play well with the new hdspmixer...
weird things were happening including segfaults. So, if you are in this
situation and you upgrade, remove the snd_hdsp module, power cycle the
interface box and then modprobe the module again (or shutdown the
system, including the interface box, and boot again).

-- Fernando