[PlanetCCRMANews] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Unknown symbol in Module

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano planetccrma@ccrma.stanford.edu
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:49:41 -0700

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 15:54 +0100, Graham Wardle wrote:
> Hey,
> I'm trying to get music production software up and running on my laptop
> running FC4.  I have downloaded and installed the Planet CCRMA kernel
> from apt, and everything went smoothly (had to remove the kernel-devel
> duplicate in config file).  However when i reboot and try the kernel I
> get a couple of problems.  Basically:
>
> Unknown symbol in module:
> snd_intel8x0: unknown parameter `' (this is my soundcard i think)
> rt2500: unknown parameter `' (this is my wireless card)
>
> both of these work flawlessly on the 2.6.16-1.2069_FC4 kernel but not on
> 2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc.ccrma kernel.  Has anybody got any ideas or
> suggestions.  Ideally, i'd prefer not to have to recompile the Planet
> kernel from source, as i'm very new to linux and dont really have the
> skills or time, but if somebody could point me in the direction of how
> to fix it, that would be great.

Known issue. Check /etc/modprobe.conf, edit it (carefully) and make sure
there are no extra spaces at the end of the "Options" lines, specially
for the one module that is failing to load.

Save the file, do a "/sbin/depmod -a" and restart alsa
(/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart). That should do it.

Something (I don't know what) is inserting those spaces in modprobe.conf
and messing up the load of the modules.

-- Fernando