[PlanetCCRMA] CPU shielding by turning off the irqbalance systemd unit

Tony White twhite at operamail.com
Thu Oct 24 23:02:24 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I have a quick question please which someone may be able to answer for
me.

According to the rt wiki :
[1]https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/CPU_shielding_using_/proc_and_/
dev/cpuset irqbalance should be disabled when using the realtime patch
set.

So my question is : Am I doing the right thing by disabling irqbalance
when I run kernel-rt or is that information on the wiki out of date?

Just for those who are interested in doing the same also; I am using
kdesu systemctl stop irqbalance to do this; (su -c 'systemctl stop
irqbalance' for non kde systems, gksu systemctl stop irqbalance for
gnome users.) As I remember it; I think that irqbalance is enabled by
default on every Fedora install. So everyone could be running it unless
they have explicitly turned it off.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Tony