[PlanetCCRMA] support for Fedora 20!

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Sat Dec 21 22:10:14 PST 2013

OK ... first round of testing is completed. The stuff that works (not just
Planet CCRMA!!) is in https://github.com/znmeb/AlgoCompSynth

1. SuperCollider seems to have changed packaging - for now my script isn't
getting executed.
2. Somewhere along the line (F19 I think, maybe F18) Common Music
disappeared. Can it come back?
3. ChucK / miniAudicle from Planet CCRMA aren't making sounds on my GNOME 3
desktop with a USB headset. Recompiling from the latest upstream source
using
https://github.com/znmeb/AlgoCompSynth/blob/master/ChucK-source/sudo-install-all.bashgives
me sound - the trick is to use the 'pulse' option when you do the
'make'. You probably need three versions now - ALSA, Jack and Pulse(audio)
to cover all the bases.

Wish list:
1. Get Common Music back
2. Slippery Chicken - algorithmic composition in Lisp (
http://www.michael-edwards.org/sc/)

I want to package IanniX, Impro-Visor and AthenaCL for Fedora but don't
know if I'll have the time to go through the lengthy training / acceptance
process. They install fine from source so it's not like I'm losing anything
by not having them in Planet CCRMA or Fedora.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <
nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:

> [do not reply to planetccrmanews!, that's only for posting news...]
>
> Hi all, ho ho ho...
> The first batch of packages built for Fedora 20 is available!
>
> This morning I built the first 3.12.x rt patched kernel, just in time
> for this "release". It is based on the latest Koji build for fc20 and
> 3.12.5-rt7. Thoroughly tested. Just kidding. It boots and seems to work
> nicely in one (1) laptop, my T61 test machine (which I upgraded
> yesterday with fedup). Hopefully it will be as good as the 3.10.x series
> has been (which has been superb in my experience).
>
> Pointers to the repositories are, as usual, in the web page at:
> https://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
>
> Start by installing the Planet CCRMA yum repositories as indicated.
>
> Some packages are missing, but not that many. One notable absence is
> pd-extended (newer version!). Its lua code in pdlua.c is not compatible
> with lua 5.2 which is what ships with Fedora 20. A patch would be most
> welcomec!
>
> Let me know if there is anything you need that was there in 19 and seems
> to be missing in 20.
> Enjoy!
> -- Fernando
>
> PS: missing: gmorgan, pd-*, latest version of faust and assorted toys.
> Some stuff missing also in 19 but nobody complained: cheesetracker,
> fweelin, zyn, etc.
>
> PS2: think about helping Brendan and all others by packaging or helping
> package audio software in Fedora:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench
http://j.mp/CompJournBench/

Get out of the building - and don't come back till you have the order!