[PlanetCCRMA] New motherboard / CPU

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Sun Nov 18 13:32:18 PST 2012

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:02:03 -0500
Donald Steven <t6sn7gt at aim.com> wrote:

> If I change motherboard (and the CPU -- from a Core Duo to an i7) do I
> have to reinstall Fedora and CCRMA, or will Linux load the
> newer/different modules (say for the Ethernet) and CCRMA needs?

They're both 64 bit CPUs, so you should be fine for the most part.
You may need to add some packages if the video, audio or Ethernet
hardware uses a different driver, but you should be able to install
the packages before the change, then boot up OK.

I think all the common Ethernet modules are installed anyway, so you
will likely have net access afterwards.  The biggest problem I've run
into is when I've changed the video card, and then I'm limited to the
shell until I install the right module.  Once that's in place, I can
get X Windows set up again pretty painlessly.

Good luck!

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com