[PlanetCCRMA] Hammerfall-DSP Multiface problems

Tue May 29 21:20:48 PDT 2012

On 05/29/2012 06:40 PM, plutek wrote:
> From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano<nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
> i've been using qjackctl... the messages window says:
>
> ALSA: prepare error for playback on "hw0:0" (Input/output error)
> JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, stopping...

Ah, well, looks like an ALSA driver issue.
Is there anything in /var/log/messages or the output of dmesg?

> then the qjackctl GUI *looks* like jack is still running (i.e. it says "started" and "RT" and so on) but then when i try to run a jack application, the application does not think jack is running, and the qjackctl message window gives me this:
>
> JackProcessSync::LockedTimedWait error usec = 5000000 err = Connection timed out
> Driver is not running
> Cannot create new client

Jack is definitely not starting. Maybe interrupts are not getting in...

> ...at that point, the machine is still responsive, but i cannot start jack at all, and the machine locks during shutdown.
> let me know if i can help with more details...

I'm pretty sure you will find some sort of kernel error messages in
/var/log/messages. Very likely an Oops or BUG and then the ALSA driver
for the RME is hosed and of course nothing short of a reboot will bring
it back.