[PlanetCCRMA] Hammerfall-DSP Multiface problems

plutek plutek at infinity.net
Tue May 29 18:40:07 PDT 2012

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 17:54:45 -0700

> (BTW, my current laptop is a T510 and runs a Multiface with the same
> adapter fine with 3.2.x rt, but on fc14 i386 for now)

i'll do an installation like that as well, and report back! i've got multiple partions for test installations on this machine.  :)

> It is strange that jack itself is not happy with newer kernels. That
> would seem to suggest a kernel bug with your particular hardware.
>
> What do you mean by "jack locks up very quickly"? Do you mean the whole
> machine locks up? Or just the jackd process? Does jackd print anything
> before it locks up?

i've been using qjackctl... the messages window says:

ALSA: prepare error for playback on "hw0:0" (Input/output error)
JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, stopping...

then the qjackctl GUI *looks* like jack is still running (i.e. it says "started" and "RT" and so on) but then when i try to run a jack application, the application does not think jack is running, and the qjackctl message window gives me this:

JackProcessSync::LockedTimedWait error usec = 5000000 err = Connection timed out
Driver is not running
Cannot create new client

then, if i hit the stop button in qjackctl, then try to re-start jack, there's a pop-up from qjackctl, saying:

Could not connect to JACK server as client.
-Overall operation failed.
-Unable to connect to server
Please check the messages window for more info.

...and the qjackctl messages window says (this is everything including the *previous* error, right to this point):

JackProcessSync::LockedTimedWait error usec = 5000000 err = Connection timed out
Driver is not running
Cannot create new client
21:07:59.909 ALSA connection graph change.
21:08:00.016 ALSA connection change.
21:15:13.473 Client deactivated.
21:15:13.478 JACK is stopping...
JackProcessSync::LockedTimedWait error usec = 29020 err = Connection timed out
JackEngine::ClientDeactivate wait error ref = 2 name = qjackctl
JackProcessSync::LockedTimedWait error usec = 5804 err = Connection timed out
JackEngine::ClientCloseAux wait error ref = 2
jack main caught signal 15
control device hw:0
Released audio card Audio0
audio_reservation_finish
control device hw:0
21:15:14.590 JACK was stopped successfully.
21:15:26.056 JACK is starting...
21:15:26.058 /usr/bin/jackd -p512 -dalsa -r44100 -p64 -n2 -D -Chw:0,0 -Phw:0,0
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
21:15:26.077 JACK was started with PID=1744.
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
jackdmp 1.9.8
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 60
control device hw:0
control device hw:0
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio0
creating alsa driver ... hw:0,0|hw:0,0|64|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open() failed with -1
Failed to open server
21:15:26.259 JACK was stopped with exit status=255.
21:15:28.256 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started

...at that point, the machine is still responsive, but i cannot start jack at all, and the machine locks during shutdown.
let me know if i can help with more details...

thanks much... cheers!
.pltk.