[PlanetCCRMA] Impact of choice of desktop on audio performance

Sean Beeson seanbeeson at gmail.com
Mon May 21 11:02:46 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 12:56 AM, Donald Steven <t6sn7gt at aim.com> wrote:

> As desktops become more demanding on resources, I'm wondering if the
> choice of GNOME 3, MATE, or KDE 4 has an impact on audio performance.
> This is something to consider as F17 is released.  Should I instal itl,
> or stay with, say, GNOME 2 on F13?

At first I really disliked Gnome 3. After using it with a tablet PC and
then getting used to it I made a complete 180 and now find it very nice for
general PC work. While trying to get some lower-end laptops to use a
rt-kernel under F16 to use for a DAW and looking for something a little
less resource heavy while complaining about Gnome 3 someone(Malte Steiner)
suggested I use Fluxbox. It took a bit to get the hang of configuring it,
but it runs faster then LXDE and is more configurable. I used to use LXDE
to get a little more out of my DAW even under Gnome 2, but Fluxbox beats it
hands down. It doesn't run right out of the box, so there is a learning
curve on setting it up. It was well worth my time to do so though. I switch
between Gnome 3 and Fluxbox as I did with LXDE when I want to do audio
work. Turning off all unnecessary services will help you too, like
iptables, sendmail and such. You should be behind a firewall, so you
shouldn't have to have it on. Putting Sellinux into promiscuous mode will
help also. Fluxbox really did make all the difference.

--Sean