[PlanetCCRMA] Life is Not Good with 3.x-rt and Nvidia Graphics

S C Rigler riglersc at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 08:58:57 PDT 2012

Yesterday I decided to go from a working F14 installation using a 2.6.33-rt
x86_64 kernel using the proprietary Nvidia driver to F16 using whatever
Nvidia driver would work.  So far I have yet to find something that works.

The stock Fedora kernel works fine running either nouveau or the
proprietary Nvidia driver.  I'm typing this while I am booted into 3.2.9-2
running nouveau.

When I try 3.0.17-1.rt33.1 or 3.2.10-1.rt18.1 using the nouveau driver my
laptop boots, X starts, I am able to log in.  Everything seems a bit laggy
and then after a few minutes the laptop will go completely unresponsive.  I
tried typing this message while booted into an RT kernel but my laptop hung
before I could finish a few sentences.

I managed to build a proprietary Nvidia driver for both of these RT kernels
using a patch that's been floating around.  But when I use it the laptop
boots, X will try to start but the screens will go black, the CPU fan will
kick in high and then nothing else will happen.  Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I
might see the Nvidia logo but the laptop never progresses past that point.

Is this a typical experience for folks running Nvidia cards?  We need some
kind of support group so we can cry on each other's shoulders.

Seriously though, is there a list of "here try this" type of things we can
do?

--Steve