[PlanetCCRMA] RT vs standard Fedora kernel

Martin Tarenskeen m.tarenskeen at zonnet.nl
Sun Jan 29 03:11:12 PST 2012

Hi,

I am on Fedora 16.
I have installed kernel-rt 3.0.17-1.rt33.1.fc16.ccrma and the normal
kernel-3.2.2-1.fc16 from Fedora.

If I boot with the RT kernel from PlanetCCRMA, start Jack (I use qjackctl
for that) with RT enabled, and if I then start a synth like hexter or
zynaddsubfx via the commandline, I am seeing a message that realtime
scheduling is not allowed or something like that, but the thing does
start. And I am getting a lot of xruns.

If I boot the standard Fedora kernel and do exactly the same everything
works fine, and I am not getting these error messages.

Shouldn't the RT kernel perform BETTER than the standard kernel ?
Obviously for Fedora 16 this still is not the case.

--

MT