[PlanetCCRMA] [Fedora-music-list] pulseaudio-1.1-3

Simon Lewis simon.lewis at slnet-online.de
Mon Jan 2 02:01:37 PST 2012

Hello Christopher

Many thanks for your response.

Yes, the kernel updates in fc15 are very positive and in terms of device
support the 3.1.x (aka 2.6.41.x) is very good.

My main grip is with the fixed releases as there always comes a point
when I have no choice but to upgrade to a newer fedora release because I
need a particular (new) feature in an application that will not build
against the out-dated libraries in the currently installed released, and
the libraries cannot be updated because of soname/sonumber bumps, etc..

Just to give an example, I have just received notification from the
digikam developers that the mpeg video export has been reintroduced
after 2 years absence (whilst digikam was rebuilt against kde4).
Unfortunately digikam 2.4 cannot be built against the KDE 4.6.x
libraries....

The preupgrade package/route has proved to work well over the years...
but there are always a number of apps that I need to build from scratch
and configuration options that I need to set after upgrading to get a
working system to my requirements. I don't have that much spare time as
I would like to concentrate on Linux and usually need 3-4 months after a
new fedora release before I can be creative/productive again. Thus from
a user point of view a rolling update is very attractive. Doubling up
computers to bridge the gap is not a financial option.

Does fedora need more packagers, or should all options to reduce the
workload be investigated? Is maintaining several releases or just one
rolling release cause more work? I can understand fixed releases for
enterprise systems whereby a large number of proprietary applications
(e.g. CAD/CMS systems) are installed, but this is not the fedora user base.

Best regards, Simon