[PlanetCCRMA] [Fedora-music-list] pulseaudio-1.1-3

Christopher Antila crantila at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jan 1 13:57:01 PST 2012

Hi:

On 01/01/2012 05:14 AM, Simon Lewis wrote:
> The biggest contribution that the Fedora-music team can make is too
> persuade the fedora-core team to introduce a rolling update release aka
> openSUSE Tumbelweed and Linux Mint. The multimedia apps (on linux) are
> bleeding edge whereby the developers of the most interesting apps are
> willing to make bug fixes and introduce new features quickly.
> Unfortunately, these improvements upstream never filter down to the
> fedora repos mostly because there are too few fedora packagers. A single
> rolling release with snapshot releases for marketing purposes would meet
> fedora aims for an actual distribution and significantly reduce the work
> load.

I used to be a supporter of the rolling-release idea, but it seems to me
that Fedora already strikes a good balance. As you noted, it all comes
down to the initiative and number of package maintainers.

Some packages, such as the kernel, are generally updated when new
upstream versions are ready. More often than not, it seems, both of the
currently-maintained Fedora releases are running or are about to run the
same kernel version. Even KDE has generally followed this update
pattern, although it was broken with Fedora 15 and 16, which have KDE
4.6 and 4.7, respectively.

All I'm really saying is that convincing everybody to switch to a
rolling release is going to be more effort than it's worth, because
Fedora already accepts major version updates to packages in the same OS
release cycle. As you noted, what we need is more packagers.

Christopher.