[PlanetCCRMA] Real Time Scheduling with Fedora kernel?

Mon Apr 23 09:28:11 PDT 2012

On 04/23/2012 09:20 AM, Jeff Sandys wrote:
> Fernando,
> You mentioned at LAC that you could activate real time scheduling with
> the vanilla Fedora kernel by adding a parameter to the boot expression
> in grub.

Real time scheduling is always available in all kernels (that would be
the SCHED_FIFO priority ring). It becomes available to a user in the
standard Fedora environment if the user adds itself to the proper group.

> What was that parameter again?

"threadirqs" is the parameter, and what it does is to enable threaded
interrupt requests in the kernel. Each IRQ gets its own SCHED_FIFO
process, and those can be tuned by rtirq to have priorities that favor
audio processing.

> I look forward to your performance of Earth Songs at the DXARTS Spring
> Concert. Wednesday, April 25, 7:30 PM, at Meany Hall, University of
> Washington.
>
> Thanks again for hosting LAC.

Sure, it was a LOT of work but worth it. It was good to meet you!
Best regards,