[PlanetCCRMA] Confusing Switch of MIDI ports In qjackctl from an ALSA port to a MIDI port

Sean Beeson seanbeeson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 09:21:11 PDT 2012

Hi, List.

Something changed in a new and an older Fedora 16(an upgrade prehaps) where
the MIDI ports of software, particularly ZynAddSubFX, changed from being
ALSA ports to being MIDI ports in qjackctl. I guess these is actually the
spec for MIDI, but since USB MIDI interfaces show up as ALSA ports there is
not way to connect MIDI hardware to these softsynths. I saw this kind of
behavior before in some of the software under Fedora 14, but things had
changed back to everything showing up as ALSA ports. It was my
understanding that these decisions with ports are some thing that's decided
at compile time for each piece of software. I could be wrong about that.

I am able to easily change this or is there a work around? From what I'm
seeing there is no way to connect my USB MIDI port that come in as ALSA
ports to anything that shows up as a MIDI port. Why the variance for
version to version and why the changed, as now, from how it worked in
Fedora 16 two weeks ago and now?

Thank you,

Sean