[PlanetCCRMA] 3.0 rt kernel

Sat Oct 1 10:18:07 PDT 2011

On 09/30/2011 12:15 PM, S C Rigler wrote:
> A "me too" here.  Also on F14 but with an Nvidia card.  Last I heard the
> Nvidia driver won't compile on 3.0-rt...has that changed?

Hi Steve & David:

Yes, the 3.x kernel can be used on f14 and I have a build but I have not
had much success (I get hangs after a while in my short tests as in
f15). I have not had time to debug - would involve running a serial
console, etc, etc.

The nvidia driver won't compile in the stock 3.x rt kernel because the
kernel developers have made a few symbols in the kernel gpl only (ie:
can only be seem by gpl drivers). The support is there, just not
available to closed source drivers. Building a custom kernel with those
symbols available again (a very small patch) makes linking the nvidia
driver again possible, but I would not be able to distribute the
resulting kernel myself.

I have not tested nouveau in a while...