[PlanetCCRMA] Peace and quiet

David Cornette david at davidcornette.com
Sat Jun 18 21:55:37 PDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 08:01:34PM -0400, Donald Steven wrote:

> What have folks discovered about how to have a real quiet or silent computer music workstation... what cpu coolers, fans, etc. have you found that are as close to silent as can be?  Thanks.

I have an Antec Sonata III case that seems very quiet.  For a CPU fan, I have a
Zalman CNPS9500 AT.  I use a passively cooled video card.  The case has room
for an additionl fan, but I have found that it was unnecessary to use one.
The computer stays very cool as it is.  (With all four processors at 100% for a
little while, my four cores range from 49 C to 54 C.  When I am not
deliberately loading it, the tend to be about 32C or so.)  I don't have an SPL
meter, so I can't tell you precisely how quiet it is, but I am quite pleased
with it, and I would recommend the case.