[PlanetCCRMA] fc14 rt kernel and booting

Richard Brown richardbenedict at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 03:36:18 PDT 2011

Hi,

I recently upgraded from fc12 to fc14.
Unfortunately the rt kernel would not boot, complaining just after some
messages about dracut and selinux that it "failed to mount /sys/fs/cgroup".
After some googling I found that this is not an uncommon problem, but there
was nothing I could find with respect to PlanetCCRMA.
So I tried lots of things (one at a time):
selinux=0
vmalloc=512M
enforcing=0
stripping out all the nvidia drivers...

Finally I stumbled across init=/sbin/upstart.

Success!

My question is this.  If the problem is to do with SELinux, can I just strip
that out?  And will using upstart instead of whatever is meant to be used
cause me problems further down the line?

Thanks.