[PlanetCCRMA] terminatorX blows up

Andrew aahamlin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 05:27:40 PST 2011

S C Rigler <riglersc <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I was curious if anyone here uses terminatorX.  I installed it to take a look,
but was discouraged when it blows up after I click the "Mouse Grab" button with
the following error:

TerminatorX is cool. I used it first a couple years ago and just started playing
with it again for a real concrete idea a couple weeks ago... I was dismayed when
it blow up on me... however I have found the fix/workaround.

> Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'terminatorX' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)'.
>
>   (Details: serial 7 error_code 10 request_code 2 minor_code 0)
>   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>

>    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>
>    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
> aborting...
> Aborted
>

> Apparently bug reports of this message go back a few years so I'm curious if
this is abandon-ware and is there any workaround for the error?

> --Steve

Using Ubuntu 10.10 - 1st workaround was to download and install private copy of
older libgtk2.0.0 from Ubuntu 9. That did not satisfy me...

Further searching revealed that Gtk 2.18 introduced a concept of
'client-side-windows' which was a breaking change,
http://www.gtk.org/notes/gtk-2.18.0-notes.txt.

By changing the terminatorX shortcut to `env GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 terminatorX`
Gtk will use the old window behavior and the Mouse Grab button works without
breaking.

Hope that helps, I am trying to find the one or two other posts where I've been
gathering this information to pass this along.

Andrew