[PlanetCCRMA] Does this exist?

Bob Wilkinson wilkinson.bob at comcast.net
Fri Oct 22 12:45:27 PDT 2010

Try this again, with the right address.

Something I thought of last night, and thought it would be really nice to have as a JACK based app, but I have two problems with it - (1) I'm not a programmer, and (2) I don't know where to go to ask. So, I start here.

Currently, there are hardware based controllers that act as speaker controls in a studio. This way, you can set all of your speakers to the same volume level, and simply switch from one to another to A/B or A/B/C a song. Since I am running multiple Delta 1010s, it would be really nice if a (fairly) simple JACK based program could act as the output, and have volume control sets that could run output back through JACK to the individual outputs - acting as a software based speaker controller.

If a person so desired (I'm not big on this idea, but others are), you could add EQ plugins to tune your speakers, etc.

In effect, it would be a very stripped down version of Ardour - the "input" having a volume control (main volume), then the multiple outputs (you could add or remove as many outputs as you wanted, just as you can with Ardour for inputs) - each have their own volumes, mutes, plus possibly plug-in section - that are then sent back to JACK to be linked to an ALSA output.

As a main "window", it could be minimized to a ribbon on the edge of the screen, so that the visible sections would be main volume, a digital vu meter, and selection buttons for speakers A, B, C,...

Does this exist? How difficult would it be to create?