[PlanetCCRMA] RT kernel for CentOS 5 with ext4 support?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Mon Oct 18 12:48:40 PDT 2010

On 18 October 2010 at 11:47, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> On 10/17/2010 10:41 PM, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > I installed CCRMA on a fresh CentOS machine yesterday.  When
> > I tried to boot the RT kernel, it mostly went OK, except
> > that my /home partition is formatted in ext4 from being
> > used earlier with Mandriva 2010.1 and with Fedora 13.  My
> > CentOS machine is down now, but the planetcore repository has
> > kernel-rt-2.6.24.7-1.rt14.4.el5.ccrma.i686.rpm as what looks
> > like the latest release of a kernel for CentOS, and that is
> > from July 2008.
> >
> > Now for 2 questions.  Is CentOS still actively supported by
> > CCRMA?
>
> CentOS support used to be done by Arnaud, I have not heard from
> him in a while.

That seems consistent with the dates I see in the repository.

> > If so, is there a plan to update the repository with a kernel
> > which supports ext4?
>
> It is very unlikely.

OK.

Is it primarily the more recent versions of Fedora that are
actively maintained by CCRMA folks?

> Is ext4 currently supported by CentOS at all? (sorry, I don't
> know).

Yes, CentOS' kernel supports ext4.

> If you want to use CentOS your best bet would be to go back to
> ext3...

I only installed CentOS a couple days ago.  I'd prefer to use
Mandriva, as their multimedia packages work pretty well,
eliminating the need for CCRMA.  But, my company recently
switched VPN servers, causing me to look for a distribution
compatible with the VPN client.  At this point I think I'm headed
for VirtualBox running atop Mandriva, running CentOS as a guest.

Thanks....

--
Kevin