[PlanetCCRMA] which Fedora?

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 00:15:38 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On 11/10/2010 11:41 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm, how about strstr( utsname.version, "PREEMPT RT" ) ? Would that
>>> give a positive result on (non-)ccrma realtime kernels?
>
> Ah yes, good one, I did not notice it! I would use it for now. It would work
> for ccrma branded kernels and we could test later for patched kernels that
> somebody else builds (difficult but maybe not impossible). I don't know what
> puts the "PREEMPT RT" string there, will have to do some research.

I made a build with the modified patch. I hope this works fine:

> A broader question is: does it make any difference? :-)
>
> I tested a long long time ago and it was better, and in theory it is the
> best optimization (priority of irq-soundcard > jack > everything else), but
> maybe at this point it is not a huge difference in performance.

Same here. I was using rt kernels until about 2 years ago, when I was
doing a lot of recording. Since then, I didn't record anything more
complex than a couple audio tracks (There is so much material to work
on, and so little time :) and I have been using the stock Fedora
kernel. It would be good to test if it is worth.

Orcan