[PlanetCCRMA] the jack permissions conundrum

David Nielson naptastic at comcast.net
Wed May 26 08:44:28 PDT 2010

> What will happen if/when that option is not the default in Planet CCRMA
> is that new users will usually never read the instructions and do what
> is suggested. They will just install packages blindly and the first
> result they will get is that jack will refuse to start and gives an
> error that they will not see nor analyze.
Then the dialog box in qjackctl should be expanded to do some of the
detective work for the user; in the same way that ./configure is
required to make sure you have all the libraries installed before it
even tries to build, qjackctl (or patchage or even jackd itself) should
do all the sanity checks before trying to run, and then offer to **FIX**
the problem itself--if the user has admin privileges, of course.

And end user, IMO, should not have to think abot limits.conf, rtprio, or
nice levels. The end user should be thinking about MUSIC, and the
smaller intrusion config issues can make into that, the better.

(Look at Windows Server: on the first boot after installation, the
computer *ASKS* the administrator / user what the computer is going to
be used for, then does all the configuration for the user.)

And for the record, I have a usage case here in my studio where it
really makes sense for the audio users to have rt privileges and the
other users shouldn't.

David Nielson