[PlanetCCRMA] the jack permissions conundrum

Mon May 24 12:38:57 PDT 2010

I'm trying to decide what to do with regards to permissions management
for jack (including firewire devices) in the Planet CCRMA
jack-audio-connection (1.9.x) packages.

The current situation is AFAICT:

- Fedora jack1 packages allows users access to realtime scheduling and
memory locking only if the user belongs to a particular group
(jackuser?).

- Planet CCRMA jack2 packages allows all users access to realtime
scheduling and locking by default.

Furthermore, access to firewire devices (needed for the ffado library
and jack backend to work) is not enabled by default in any version of
jack (I was/am enabling access to raw1394 through console.perms.d/ but I
suspect that is now deprecated in newer versions of Fedora - does anyone
know for sure which mechanism is used in each recent version of
Fedora??).

So.......

a) I could move the Planet CCRMA package to the Fedora group based
permissions, and add a sub-package to the current Planet CCRMA
jack-audio-connection-kit build so that, if installed, it will grant
full access to all users, something like:

  jack-audio-connection-kit-full-access

(can anyone think of a better name? this one is not very good)

BTW, I don't know if a second udev rule with global permissions would
override another one for the same device with group permissions... so
this may not be possible.

So in this case you would get the same permissions as Fedora by default
and you would install another sub-package to get the current full
permissions. Maybe planetccrma-core would have that requirement built-in
so that the current behavior is kept.

b) I could split out the permissions entirely out of the base
jack-audio-connection-kit package so that we have two sub-packages:

  jack-audio-connection-kit-full-access

and

  jack-audio-connection-kit-group-access

Each would grant access of realtime scheduling, memory locking and
firewire devices to either all users or just users that belong to a
certain group (which would be jackuser - or whatever it is named - to
match what Fedora does).

In this case you would explicitly choose at install time which type of
access you want by installing the proper jack-1.9.x sub-package.

Opinions?