[PlanetCCRMA] Qtractor 0.4.5svn1517

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Tue May 18 14:23:41 PDT 2010

On 05/18/2010 09:29 PM, Niels Mayer wrote:
>     http://oget.fedorapeople.org/review/qtractor-0.4.6-0.1.rc1.fc12.src.rpm
>

> After much more extensive testing and now figuring out how to access
> plugins etc I've found two big issues in "Track Properties" related to
> plugins.... and midi inputs dying transiently, perhaps after creating
> and destroying lots of plugins during evaluation (could be a plugin
> memory corruption issue independent of qtractor?)
>
> (1) Track properties Plugins Coredump:
>
>  Double click on a track to bring up track properties
>  select 'Plugins' tab
>  click 'Add...'
>  in Plugins dialog that pops up, go to option-menu normally set to
> LV2/DSSI and select '(any)'.
>
> The progress bar will fill, and eventually:
>
>     coggie-117-~> qtractor
>     Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> After this segfault, it detaches from jack very ungracefully: hosing-up
> jackd, and leaving qjackctl in a state where it might need to be killed
> (and then separately, you have to kill -9 a hung jackd process).
>
> (2) Track Properties Plugins Freeze
>
> With qsampler loaded up and running, and connected to jack audio and
> alsa midi, but no sample setup because i haven't found one that works,
> nor how to load it :-). ...
>
> In qtractor
>  Double click on a track to bring up track properties
>  select 'Plugins' tab
>  click 'Add...'
>  in Plugins dialog that pops up, select 'dssi' option-menu and select
> the "activate" option-button.
>  select 'LinuxSampler" ...  and watch "busy" mouse-sprite go forever:
>

>     coggie-131-~> qtractor
>     coggie-132-~>
>

> (it just exists after pausing for several minutes...)
>
> (3) I haven't figured out how to reproduce this yet, but after playing
> around with plugins for a while (starting and stopping deleting, and
> switching new ones and trying them out) ... eventually, all midi input
> disappears and you can no longer play any of the plugin synths (since
> they receive no midi). Qtractor needs to be restarted and they come
> right back....

thanks for testing and harnessing this out.

re. (1) Track Properties Plugins Freeze

it turns out that choosing the "(Any)" plugin type is not /that/ all
recommended, specially if you have some ill behaved plugins around and
it takes only one to make it all compromised. notably, if you just
happen to have some native VST plugins around you're better off never
use this plugin listing option

re. (2) Track Properties Plugins Freeze

linuxsampler plugins (lv2 or dssi) don't connect directly to alsa nor
jack, ie. device types should be set to "plugin" and not "alsa" (midi)
nor "jack" (audio), while on channel setup in qsampler. anyway, don't
push it so hard if you're not knowing how to do. linuxsampler plugins
are bleeding-edge anyway, so you better do one step at a time :)

re. (3)

well, tinkering with random plugins is risky business after all :) no
plugin is trustable before hand, if you know what i mean ;)

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org