[PlanetCCRMA] Quality of sound on RHEL 6.0 beta and Fedora 13

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Mon May 17 08:25:42 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Donald Steven <t6sn7gt at aim.com> wrote:

> Is it my imagination, or is the basic sound quality of RHEL 6.0 beta and
> Fedora 13 improved over previous versions.  To my ears, it has a clarity
> I haven't heard before.

A more stable and less jittery clocksource might be the reason for improved
clarity. Jittery clocks are the main reason why ditgital sound can be so
crappy, and the reason why studios aiming for the highest fidelity usually
use external precision wordclocks (
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/big-ben.php )and jitter-reducing
external a/d&d/a's like
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/rosetta-series.php  .

Perhaps F13 implements the "audiophile tweaks" I've heard mentioned in
chat:
http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2010-March/016511.html

Might be a good idea to see how your HPET timers are configured... A stock
F12 x86_64 gives:

gnulem-163-~> cat
> /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource

tsc hpet acpi_pm

gnulem-164-~> cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/

available_clocksource  current_clocksource

gnulem-164-~> cat
> /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource

tsc

What are the results for F13?

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com