[PlanetCCRMA] Any known USB audio interfaces that actually have four outputs that show up in Jack?

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Fri May 14 09:09:30 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Bob Wilkinson <wilkinson.bob at comcast.net>
 wrote:

> Yes, using the procedure outlined on John Rigg's website.  The website is:
> http://www.jrigg.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html

FYI, the "multi" trick is also useful for binding together separate
subdevices of the same soundcard. often a card presents two or three
subdevices, hw:0,0 (main analog) ; hw:0,1 (iec958 digital) and sometimes
hw:0,2 (e.g. hdmi audio on motherboard w/integrated audio/video). Normally
jackd -Dhw:0 would just give you access to subdevice 0. By using an ALSA
"multi" type for jackd's input and output device specifiction, you can tell
jackd to create a device combining hw:0,0 and hw:0,1 so that you can
simultaneously access both digital and analog parts of a soundcard in Jack.
I ran a test yesterday on a 2.8Ghz dual core Opteron 1220, running 'mixxx'
through Jack, with headphones monitoring one channel, and spdif outputting
the other channel to main monitors. Ran for several hours without any Xruns
on non-RT kernel-2.6.32.11-99.fc12.x86_64 ....

For details, see
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2010-May/069482.htmlwhich
shows how to do this with an ICE1724-based Dynex dx-sc51:
background:
http://old.nabble.com/Re:-perhaps-why-some-of-us-have-more-trouble-w--pulseaudio-than-others-(ICE1712-M-audio-delta-problem-w--pulseaudio)-p28528791.html
... my inspiration:
http://old.nabble.com/Is-it-possible-to-use-two-RME-cards-in-sync--to28513035.html