[PlanetCCRMA] Pd + PulseAudio?

Tue Mar 23 19:59:05 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 22:02 -0400, Peter Kirn wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> Sorry; I've done some more testing. Here's the current state of affairs:
>
> FC12.
>
> pd-extended 0.41.4
>
> No error messages from JACK.
>
> Two audio interfaces for testing in this case, the internal Intel
> audio (which I know has caused some issues for folks) and the Native
> Instruments Audio Kontrol 1.
>
> AK1 + JACK: works fine, loading qjackctl first, then Pd in JACK mode.

Then this one is fine.

> AK1 + ALSA: causes glitched audio, then the app appears to hang, which
> means I can't click the DIO errors button or close the dialogs; have
> to force-quit.

Hmmm, if you use alsa you are going through pulseaudio. I don't know
what device will pd use if started in plain alsa mode. I personally
would always go through jack, no reason to start in plain alsa mode.
Your usage might be different.

> Intel + JACK: JACK reports no issue opening the Intel card. Intel
> audio shows up as hw:1, but for the heck of it, I did try hw:1,1
> (though I'm fairly certain that's wrong -- that's the ALC660-VD on
> this Asus laptop). JACK checks out, shows that it correctly creates
> the ALSA driver and sets the correct settings, but pd doesn't make any
> sound -- even though there's no error from pd, either.

Ok then it is probably an alsamixer issue, ie: the mixer controls are
not properly set for the card. Can you get sound from that card in any
other way?

Open up a terminal and start alsamixer:

  alsamixer -c 1

("-c 1" so that it goes directly to the Intel card).
Experiment with the level settings you will find there... (you can have
jack + pd running with the test window and some noise enabled there).

What do you see if you do:
  cat /proc/asound/devices
... that should show any subdevices, if there are any.
I presume that in cat /proc/asound/cards you only see the Intel and the
AK, right?

-- Fernando