[PlanetCCRMA] about Fedora updates

Peter Kirn peter at createdigitalmedia.net
Sun Mar 14 14:21:52 PDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Peter Kirn <peter at createdigitalmedia.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> I just want to put in my own vote here to say -- no, it's not
>> necessary to shut down pulseaudio in order to run JACK.
>
> The stock Fedora version of Jack does not stop pulseaudio or prevent it from
> interfering with sound devices. Therefore, Peter's statement only applies to
> those using CCRMA kernel and Jack.  My make-or-break moment for giving
> Pulseaudio the boot was when it started interfering with MIDI devices in
> Jack that have nothing to do with streaming audio. After uninstallation,
> this stopped happening.
> For those using the stock Fedora Jack and Kernel, uninstalling pulseaudio
> may be the only reliable solution, as only the CCRMA version of Jack avoids
> pulseaudio pitfalls: For example, in
> http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2010-January/016334.html
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano states:

Wait, I'm fairly certain this was at least on the roadmap for *stock*
Fedora, not requiring any CCRMA packages. I recall there was an even
an interview at some point with the PA maintainers. Now, maybe it
never happened -- anyone know?

I also regularly boot into the stock PAE kernel and not rt, because
it's very rare you really need that rt kernel. I haven't yet seen a PA
conflict, but of course, maybe I've just been lucky?

Peter