[PlanetCCRMA] about Fedora updates

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 00:50:06 PST 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 3:34 AM, Luis Garrido wrote:
>> The main reason that I am writing is to ask you about your take on our
>> update strategy in Fedora. Currently, there is a heated discussion in
>> Fedora-devel mailing list about update policies. It might happen that
>> our updates policy might change to a more conservative one.
>
> I thought Fedora filled RedHat's niche for "keeping up with the new
> features even if stability suffers a bit" distributions. What is "more
> conservative", exactly?

There are mixed opinions. Some say security and bugfixes but no
enhancement updates. Some even go up to pushing security fixes only.
Here is a proposal that will be discussed in tomorrow's steering
committee meeting:
   http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-March/132730.html

No conclusion has been reached for the time being.

> A mature-ish Fedora (i.e., one version below the the current one but
> still on maintenance, between 6- and 12-months old) is usually a good
> trade-off. You will always have to deal with some problematic stuff or
> another, putting down small fires, but that's the blood in the
> bleeding edge, people should be aware of that when they choose this
> kind of distro. If you value rock-solid stability over new features go
> RHEL or CentOS (which I do for my servers.)

:) These were the main arguments that some more "adventurous" package
maintainers like me came up with.

I just wanted to hear you folks' opinions, as that's what matters for me most.

Orcan