[PlanetCCRMA] about Fedora updates

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 22:39:13 PST 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Orcan Ogetbil <oget.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks, I just submitted rosegarden-10.02 to stable in Fedora since
> nobody yelled at me, and those who commented didn't complain.
>
> The main reason that I am writing is to ask you about your take on our
> update strategy in Fedora. Currently, there is a heated discussion in
> Fedora-devel mailing list about update policies. It might happen that
> our updates policy might change to a more conservative one.
>
> Are you happy with the current situation? What I do is, I typically
> push an update to updates-testing, leave it there for 2 weeks minimum
> (sometimes more). If no complaints, push it to stable updates repo. Do
> you think that we are pushing updates too frequently? I like to keep
> all of us up to date. We get a decently low number of bug reports. Do
> you have a stability problem with this policy? I can stop doing
> non-critical updates in stable Fedora releases if there is an issue.

Orcan -- Please continue doing what you're doing!

I think what would help is your continuing to announce new packages, and our
willingness to invest enough time to properly test functionality in new
releases. FYI -- I've been testing rosegarden 10 since you made it available
and it is definitely worth promoting to stable. (
http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-yum-update-tp27726420p27732256.html
http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-yum-update-tp27726420p27732449.html )

I hope you can continue keeping fedora updated with stable, but recent
versions of important applications.

I see no specific stability problem with your current policy of keeping
applications updated. If anything, I'd prefer to see the infrastructure be
more latest and greatest  -- e.g. libraw1394-2.0.4-1.fc12.x86_64 needs
updating to 2.0.5 in order to utilize numerous firewire devices supported
via FFADO. As it is, proper FFADO support might only first be available in
Fedora 13.

If there's any stabiliity problems, it's been with such
infrasttucture&devices, pulseaudio, jack , alsa, etc. Concerns over
stability problems in applications using the underlying facilities, even
though it appears to be in the application, should be correctly directed at
improvements in infrastructure.

For example, there should be a well supported option for "prosumer" and
"pro" audio/video use of Linux using Jack and netjack as a replacement for
pulseaudio. These would need to be supported across the board by other apps
in fedora/gnome/kde s.t. users wouldn't need to manually set gstreamer
properties in gconf, or do other gyrations I described earlier in:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.planetccrma.general/9485 . One
suggestion for using Jack as a replacement to pulseaudio was made here:
http://pdavila.homelinux.org:8080/blog/?p=369 ...

Such an option would also make Fedora even more "the distro to have" for
doing prosumer and pro music and video on Linux, especially with Fedora's
strong support for infrastructure like qjackctl and patchage, audio tools
like rosegarden or ardour, and video tools including qjadeo , kino,
kdenlive etc.

Keep up the good work, it is much appreciated.

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com