[PlanetCCRMA] Fwd: xjedeo

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 12:27:13 PST 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <
nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Nope, the packager has to fix this! (me :-). Which I just did, it should
> be available now for fedora 12 + rpmfusion (but not tested!)

I installed this and a number of other packages "standalone" ( (as in I
don't have ccrma in my yum repos as it introduces an incompatible version of
jack -- I'm using a stock kernel w/ realtime settings enabled via
permissions for jack/alsa/etc). I just do "yum install
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetccrma/12/x86_64/xjadeo-0.4.7-1.svn200.fc12.ccrma.x86_64.rpm"
and install whatever other ccrma rpms needed when it can't resolve from the
stock fedora/updates/rpmfusion repos...

With that caveat in place, I just wanted to let you know that I've "tested"
f12 x86_64 xjadeo as "works for me," though I have a question about audio
output.

I actually used qjadeo, the package includes this GUI front-end to xjadeo
and adds it to applications->sound&video menu. IMHO when using qjadeo, the
syncing option should be set to "continuous" as the default option results
in jerky video until you figure this out. It's pretty cool and I'm happy to
have found out about it through this list (thanks Peiman for bringing it
up).

And finding xjinfo is fortuitous, as I was looking for a multiformat video
file information extraction tool -- this one fits the bill perfectly as it
uses XML, which I can snarfle back into groovy (jvm lang) scripts for use in
my java-based web-app. xjinfo outputs info like:

>   <audio>Audio: wmav2, 32000 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 32 kb/s</audio>

  <video>Video: wmv2, yuv420p, 640x480, 1016 kb/s</video>

  <video>Video: vp6f, yuv420p, 200x110, 190 kb/s</video>

  <audio>Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, 1 channels, s16, 64 kb/s</audio>

Question: I guess xjadeo does what its description says, however, what
happens to the audio in the video? I see no audio outputs created in
qjackctl or patchage, and I didn't notice options for enabling audio output
from the video.

> When

           : a sequencer like Muse or Rosegarden acts as a timebase master,

           : xjadeo will display the video frame in sync with the sequencer

           : transport. This means that you can visually synchronize an
> audio

           : event with a certain frame in the movie, which comes quite
> handy

           : when you want to create a soundtrack for a video clip.

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com