[PlanetCCRMA] jack_capture with jack 1.9.4 complains about nice value of "-10", wants "-20"

Sun Jun 20 10:34:11 PDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-19 at 16:20 -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:
> A while back there was mention that the negative nice values for jack
> in /etc/security/limits.conf were superfluous.
>

> However, for jack_capture-0.9.40-1.fc12.x86_64 wants a nice value of
> "-20" but only gets "-10" .
>

> Is this behavior in jack_capture a hold-over from Jack 1.0 days, and a
> potential incompatibility for jack2?
> [I'm using jack-audio-connection-kit-1.9.4-1.fc12.ccrma.x86_64  with
> "@jackuser - nice -10"]
> coggie-161-~> jack_capture
> Recording to "jack_capture_01.wav". Press <Return> or <Ctrl-C> to
> stop.
> Warning. Could not set priority to -20, only -10.
> You probably have wrong nice value in /etc/security/limits.conf.

Probably a holdover. Anyway, this has nothing to do with jack1 vs.
jack2 I think. It has to do with the settings in Fedora for access
to negative nice values, that should affect equallyk both branches
of jack.

It would be nice to ask Kjetil why. I can imagine a reason in
trying to get disk access priority over other processes, but that
is just a guess.